Friday, July 25, 2008

What Lies Beneath



I am not a person who likes change. I analyze every decision I make to the point of a compulsive disorder. It took me three years to buy a new comforter for my bed even though the old one was beginning to unravel and the shams were less than pretty. I took special trips to specialty stores and browsed the internet looking for the best combo of femininity and "butch" to please both my husband and I. I had told him I'd be looking for something with blue or brown so that he could finally feel as though he wasn't sleeping in a Barbie dream room and he was very pleased with the prospect of having stripes. Imagine his surprise when I came home a few months ago with the quilt of my dreams. I don't know where my pillows have disappeared to so it isn't as pretty in this photo as it is in my head. There is a bit of red in it. and I didn't put the pretty pink fluffy blanket on it that I watch tv with so I figure it was a great compromise.
But now I am faced with a dilemma. I love my sheets! I find nothing more satisfying at the end of a hectic day than to slide into my bed and surround myself with the luxurious feel of these cream colored sheets spun by some mystical creature in a far of land. Here's the problem. They have now ripped in too many places to even call them sheets. They've been like this for a month or so but I can't bring myself to get rid of them. I place them carefully in a laundry bag and wash them on the gentle cycle in the attempt to get one more washing out of them. I've tried to replace them. I've gone to the stores and have yet to find anyone that carries California King in this town and then the choices are so overwhelming. I don't know if I want sateen, satin, cotton, Egyptian cotton, 200 count, 400 count, or sheets made out of t-shirts. I need your input. I am going to have to order of the internet so I won't have the option of rolling around on them prior to by them. I want them to be silky without falling out of bed when I were my silk pj's. My husband has always thought that was a fun game to play so it is the most important requirement. So please, HELP me part with my threadbare sheets!!!

5 comments:

Mary Lynne said...

We love sateen or Egyptian cotton with a damask stripe at our house---the higher the thread count the better. Here's what I found for you:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Sateen+California+King+Sheet

ba and the boys said...

by the highest count # of sheets. for christmas the other year, chris got us 800 and i cant sleep with anything else!

TK said...

my new favorite sheets: Target Brand Home 600 thread count. LOVE LOVE LOVE them

Jennifer P. said...

I have 1000 thread count, and they're almost too heavy, and even a little scratchy (my MIL paid $500 bucks for 'em too!!!--so I HAVE to use them, right?!). I liked my 550 count much better. And if you want softness without pilling or being too slippery, look for bamboo cotton. It's new stuff. Sounds silly, but it feels amazing! And invest in some linen spray from Bath and Body Works. Sleeping on pillow cases that smell like Lavendar and Vanilla makes you feel oh-so-special :)!

GOOD LUCK!

The Bach 10 said...

I agree with all above! especially the linen spray.

Good luck.