Saturday, August 2, 2008

I Love my Job


Zach was hired to break up cement and do some general labor at a neighbors house today. He came home asking for a sledge hammer which made my hair stand on end and me running to see what exactly he was hired to do. He was doing a great job but I could see that it was a lot more work than everyone originally thought and there would be no way he'd be done before the people came home. To make a very long story short, I stayed and joined in on the cement breaking, hauling, weeding, and over all manual labor. After the first time I found my hand stuck between a cement brick and a hammer I started to wonder exactly why I was doing this. It occurred to me that while I was exhausted, dirty and bleeding I was thoroughly enjoying my time with Zach. Working side by side with him is always such a great chance to bond. I love to hear his insights into life and his laugh when he sees me struggle to get dirt out of my hair. I love the way he says "thanks mom, I sure appreciate you helping me." I love how he tells me what a great mom I am and how he bets his friends wishes their moms were there for them as much as I am for him. When we finished I was almost sad because I realized that before long he won't need me to help him in a neighbors yard or to figure out a math problem. He won't come to me any longer when he has questions about friends or choices they're making. He'll be on his own and will be making his own decisions. I guess I can only hope that the hours I spend with him sweating side by side will pay off and that he'll be prepared for life without me.

3 comments:

ba and the boys said...

i think you should keep that boy around!
and think-now that you did all that work, you can have a dish of fruit dip all to your self!

The Bach 10 said...

You are such a great mom and have done a fine job raising your kids. When our kids are grown and gone, I will sit side by side with you anytime!!!

Jennifer P. said...

Yay for Summer! If there was a good mommy award--I'm sure you'd earn it. I'm sure you're a lot like your own mama was. She was always so much fun and relaxed around kids that I just wanted to be near her. Sounds like your Zach feel the same way about you!