Friday, August 29, 2008

Helicopter Parent Crash and Burn

I am a self professed, recovering helicopter parent and I am having a relapse. I have always prided myself of always being there to pick up the pieces when something went wrong for my children. I was never the mom standing at the classroom door with the homework assignment that was forgotten, I figured they should learn to be responsible and to live with consequences. I have never had a problem admitting when my kids made a mistake and most certainly never try to bail them out when they do something wrong but the one area that I tend to hover is when it comes to their feelings. For those of you who have read the last of the Twilight you'll understand when I saw I 100% relate to the passion in that book. (I won't ruin it for those of you who haven't read it you'll just have to imagine) I am a mother bear ready to attack. I come by it naturally. My mom once attempted to jump the counter of my junior high when a teacher had attacked my credibility. She was a spunky little lady. I find myself trying really hard to breathe deeply count to ten and sing a happy song but sometimes it is so hard. My husband's solution is always along the line of buying a pony and prancing up and down the street on it with a sign that says "I have a pony and you don't". Are there any of you out there who have wisdom you can share? How do I let the pain and trauma of childhood go and let my children deal with it on their own?

3 comments:

Jennifer P. said...

Oh how it breaks my heart too! You juar want to hold them close and yell at every stinkface kid or grown-up who crosses them. All I can say, is just remember that you and their home and their God are all safe places for them to come home to. Things and/or people are going to hurt them eventually, but if they have a soft place to land--it makes all the difference. You've taught them well and they'll find their way through.

And by the way---the mom at the door with the forgotten backpack or homework or lunch----that would be me. See--you're already WAY ahead of me :)!

ba and the boys said...

i was so that way with parker, but i have have been a lot better with natey. maybe it was my kids personality that has made me change. maybe im nod and tired. maybe i am learning that they have to learn.
be strong! and remember, you do have perfect kids.

TK said...

I agree you do have perfect kids and this is something we all deal with. Obviously you remember experiences in your life that have made you who you are today. I love the advice of your friend at the top. Just make your home a safe place to land. Don't add to the drama by feeding it, just love and say that life isn't fair or we all would be pretty little fairies(that is what my dad always said) LOVE YA