Monday, October 20, 2008

A Mother's Nightmare


It is one of those phone calls that you fear you'll get one day, the one where your heart stops momentarily and you feel as though you'll never catch your breath. It was my sweet child on the other end saying, "mom, I'm lost, help me."

Well, actually he said, "so what would you say if I said I was lost?"
"I guess I'd laugh" was my response.
"Well, I'm completely lost, I have no idea where I am" He was laughing through the entire conversation so I didn't think he was in grave danger. He had left about 45 minutes earlier with the dog in tow to take her for a much needed walk. He has a path that he usually takes but today he decided, unintentionally, to go a different way. Before long all the homes all looked the same and the beautiful mountains he uses as a guide post were gone. It took a bit but he was able to find his way back to a familiar point the entire time making new friends on his way. It reminded me of the time we went to visit my grandmother in Boise. He told a lady at the playground that he was on vacation. She asked where he was from and he replied, "America". She asked him, holding back a grin, where he was then to which he replied, "Idaho". (Sorry Jen.)
His sense of direction rivals that of his father and those of you who have read the wonderful stories of him on the Trax understand exactly what that means. The good news is that the dog took a great nap afterward and his friends Kayla and Torrie went with him for the afternoon stroll.

(yes, that picture is old but it is so cute I had to put it in)

3 comments:

Sam and Josh said...

That's not fun, but at least he was smart enough to call home. Not sure what my munchkins would do.

Jennifer P. said...

Looks like he has a bit of his Auntie Jen and her no sense of direction in him :)!

Glad he came back alright! I would have been sooooo scared too!

ba and the boys said...

when you said he was lost-i so thought...'that is too bad that he takes after his dad.'!
i am allowed to make fun-i get lost everywhere and once i find a way to get somewhere, i never go a different route! pathatic!