Thursday, September 11, 2008

One of Those Moments


This photo has nothing to do with it but isn't it funny that Zach wears a helmet when Jacob is learning to drive?

Yesterday Zach was late from school, approximately two hours because they had changed his schedule from fencing to photography because too many students had signed up for it. There is a food chain in any school and new students and freshmen are of course at the bottom of it. So, he was dropped. I of course went in to Super Mom mode and thought to myself "Can I fix it, Yes I can". (I watch way too much Bob the Builder). Instead however Zach said, "It's under control." What did he mean under control? That would mean that I would be there to explain to the school that it was in their best interest to to give it to him. I would of course have a laundry list of sweet little reasons why he NEEDED to be in the class. Did "control" mean he didn't need me or even worse yet, didn't want me to fix this? I did what any mom of a budding teen would do, I stood in shock and horror and waited for him to fix his own problem. I talked to someone who had been there while he was talking to the counselor. She was getting her her sons schedule fixed as well. She was amused because Zach knew that the closer to the front of the line he was the better his chances. Better to be 3rd than 100th. He made a beeline for his office as soon as the bell rang. He waited calmly and then explained to the counselor that a lot of thought had been put into selecting his classes and that while he understood it was full he had already paid the fees since it had been on his original schedule. He explained that it was important to him and that he would expect a quick resolution (thought I bet he didn't use that word). The counselor said that there were so many students in the same situation that he couldn't guarantee it but would let him know in the morning. I of course spent the evening figuring out exactly what magic I would have to work if he didn't get in. Zach said, "mom, you said that I need to take control of my education and that is what I'm doing. If I don't get in I'll handle it". He texted me this morning and he had fencing!!!! My first feeling was of elation, I had raised a well spoken, responsible young man who could fight his own battles AND win them. Then I realized that it was an indication that he was one step closer to full independence so I cried (mostly happy tears).

5 comments:

Mary Lynne said...

Way to go Zach! I'm sooo impressed!

ba and the boys said...

what a stud! he is like his mom...in control! (and that photo is great! see-zack is like you there too! he knows that you wouldnt want anything to happen to him while someone else (aka anyone other than YOU) was driving.

TK said...

I am crying to those happy tears too!!!!! HE IS TOOO big, really I am crying right now.

Lets just freeze time and go back to joy school!!! a one day and b the next. I know that was with Jake but I am so proud of Zach but I don't want him to get any bigger either.

Weird where did all of this come from (i think you rubbed off on me)

braden said...

That is really funny. Zach and Jacob now, really know how to make people laugh. So Does Bailey and Kaityln.

The Bach 10 said...

Awesome picture! Jacob seems so little!