Monday, August 16, 2010

Old Family Photos

Growing up I was very close to my mom's mom. We called her Honey and my grandpa was Papa. I have learned things over the last 15 years or so that make me appreciate my mom so much more for her allowing me to have a relationship with Honey despite the fact that there were some family issues that lurked in the back. My mom knew that I loved Honey and that our relationship was great. I always thought she was the most beautiful woman and she was so much fun to be with. She collected dolls of all kinds and her house was a museum of all sorts of collectibles. She was addicted to QVC and her house, a beautiful home in the historical district of Boise was always bursting at the seems with her newest possesions. Food was not allowed out of the kitchen but for me there was always an exception. She and I would spend hours watching movies, eating junk food and shopping. She didn't drive so our shopping was always with Papa who would sit in the car and patiently wait while we did whatever damage was to be done. He and Honey didn't share a bedroom. I never understood their relationship but it seemed to work for them. Perhaps one of them snored... I know I've considered that option a time or two when I'm laying next to the buzz saw I'm married to.
This is my mommy. I talk about her all the time. I recently received a gold mine of photos from her youth and this is one of my favorites. I love the dress, I love how proper she's sitting, and I love the chair. It was one of the only ones that she could sit in and have her feet touch the ground.

1 comment:

the thrifty ba said...

how tall was your mom? she looks adorable in this photo.