Thursday, August 19, 2010

Herriman is Under Water

Wow, what a wild weather day. We had record rain fall today. I believe they said that in 15 minutes we had more water than we usually get in the entire month of August. It was spectacular to say the least. I am not sure I've ever seen that much water come down at one time. We were in Smiths when it started and 10 minutes later when we got home there was water up to the bottom step of our deck out back. Poor Waffles was outside and for a dog that is terrified of water it was a nightmare. The new home being built behind us just had the landscaping finished and that beautiful rock wall that I was so excited about turned into a waterfall. Just like the CERT trained girl I am I stood in the kitchen yelling "do something" to Zach. Thank goodness he was home! He came up with a brilliant way to keep all the water from coming into the house. Who new keeping bags of compost and giant inflatable toys would come in handy. They were able to keep water from getting into the house (which is more than I can say for a neighbor whose basement is covered in 8 feet of water). My favorite part of the rescue effort at home was my sweet children trying to protect my budding tomatillo plants. Zach built a dam all the way around them and funneled the water to the front of the house and even covered them to protect them from the hail. The pictures that follow are horrible quality but we were under water people...I had bigger issues!!!!

Make Shift Barrier (Waffles Still Looks Concerned but she follows me anywhere)



This is supposed to be my cement patio...it's there somewhere.






Looking at the pictures it seems so silly but I PROMISE It was a big storm!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It was huge!!!! We had flooding trouble too!! Crazy freak storm...

Megan B ♥ said...

Can you believe this? Such insanity!