Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The K12 Life Style

There has always been a lot of fascination surrounding my decision to have my children enrolled in an alternative school. When people find out that my kids don't go to the traditional brick and mortar school their reaction is usually the same. They raise an eyebrow, look my children over to see if they're mutants of some kind and then nod at me with a compassionate, "poor you" kind of nod. After people get to know us a bit more and notice that my kids don't have horns and that I am completely normal (those of you that know me well had better not laugh at that) they start to ask questions. They realize that my choice to homeschool/virtual school my children is one that is brave and that works for me. I love my children more than I ever thought possible and the fact that as their mother I have this opportunity to mold and sculpt them just a bit longer is one that I treasure. Yes, it gets tiring. Yes, I find myself pulling my own hair and balking at the amount of dishes made by a family of six who are home almost all the time. But at the end of the day I am so grateful for this chance to snuggle with kids an extra moment, to bake cookies for math and to let my children explore their own unique talents.

1 comment:

The Bach 10 said...

Glad to hear I am not alone. I thought I posted a comment to this, but noticed I must have made a mistake trying to do it. I am a better blogger today than I was last week so I will attempt with this one. I am a home schooling mother myself and can remember all the weird looks and questions of why? I say Why Not? I have a masters degree in Education and I love my kids so who better to teach them. I appreciate the opportunities it gives me to be with them all the time. And the bond I know we share because of this time we share together. I am enjoying the summer time now with letting them play outside a lot and loosing track of time. Now I am excited to use some of that schooling time with meeting new friends and creating an even better enviroment and experiences for myself and my family. Good luck to us all!!! Thanks for reaching out to all the k12 families out there. You are awesome.