Monday, February 7, 2011

I Have Issues....Shocker!

I have issues.....I know....you're shocked....but the first step to fixing my problem is to admit I have one...right?  I am an extremely unorganized person.  If something doesn't change I'm going to be on an episode of Hoarders.  Ok, not really, I'm not THAT bad but I do have piles of stuff everywhere and can't close the drawers to my dresser.  I have a beautiful craft room that I can't use because there are too many unfinished projects covering each surface of my work area.  There are ALWAYS dishes piled in my sink and there are often five boxes of nearly empty cereal on the pantry shelves.  I have decided that I need to find out WHY I do this...why do I let it get out of control.  I always seem to have some kind of excuse and in reality I think a lot of it is because I'm a perfectionist.  I know that my house will never be perfect so why even try.  I was that way in school to, if I didn't know I would be the best at it I just didn't do it.  It was better to appear as though I didn't care, rather than to look like I couldn't excel.  I have decided that I need to face this head on and make some changes.  I've read about 25 different organization/decluttering books but none of them seem to resonate with me.  So I'm taking baby steps.  I will accomplish ONE project a day.  Project doesn't mean that I'm going to be tackling a closet every day but perhaps a drawer, or a shelf.  Today I cleaned out my craft room.  It was so liberating.  I even laid down on the floor and made carpet angels just because it was spacious and nicely vacuumed.  I know that this isn't of interest to anyone but me but I was hoping that by putting it in writing I'll stick to it.  I like to be held accountable for things and perhaps I'll make myself a chore chart with gold stars.

3 comments:

terrah said...

Chore charts are awesome! I have one for my house cleaning, and it's very motivating. Although, mine doesn't have gold stars... maybe I should add that! :)

Trish said...

It's all about the lists for me. I get a little thrill by compiling a nice long list. And then little booster thrills as I cross each thing off. No little check marks for me! A BOLD line right through the job that's been done! And then...nirvana!!! When I can throw the completed list away and start a fresh one!

Your gold stars comment reminded me of a book I'm reading right now. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. She talks about some people needing gold stars. If that's what will make you happy then you should definitely go for some gold stars. :)

Megan B ♥ said...

I've heard it's not a sign of perfectionism.... it's a sign of ultra-perfectionism. It can be so crippling sometimes. I understand it. I hate it.