Sunday, August 14, 2011

When Life Gives You Celery...make...Flowers

Today should have been a magical day.  Something that I've been dreaming of for about a year now happened.  I was so excited and as with so many things that we plan for and hope for it didn't go as planned. Arguments ensued and the atmosphere in the home was less than ideal.  I take EVERYTHING personal and so of course the morning events meant that everything is bad and ugly and nothing would ever be "right" again. I am the first person to point out and acknowlege God's hand in the every day happenings around here and despite the fact that I KNOW that he has he been here every step of the way I felt somewhat forgotten.   There was no beauty to be seen anywhere around me and with nothing but despair I made my way to the kitchen to make dinner.  I grabbed the celery and started hacking at it forgetting about the inner leaves and the dirt on the bottom and just took all of my frustration out on the poor vegetable.  I got down to the base and prepared to discard it in the trash with great flourish when I noticed what had been hidden beneath...
In all the years of cutting celery I have NEVER known that it could it be created into something beautiful.  It was a good reminder that even though we can not always see the beauty in something around us that it does exist...that HE does exist.  My object lesson quickly turned into a "hey everybody...come and look" moment. The atmosphere in the home changed and I'm not ashamed to say that tears fell. Never forget to see the beauty in the unexpected places and NEVER forget to see the miracles that happen every day.  Don't judge something or someone on their dirty exterior, there is beauty in everyone. 

2 comments:

terrah said...

Yeah for unexpected mood-changers! And, here is a cool thing you can do with that celery http://littlepieceofpie.wordpress.com/2011/03/25/printing-celery-rose-wrapping-paper/ More beauty!

Michelle said...

Thanks - I needed that reminder today :) You are awesome :)