Friday, September 24, 2010

Herriman Fire






I am the LAST person in the area to blog about the fire here in Herriman this week. I wasn't actually going to post anything but then my friend Nancy mentioned that had she lost things in the fire she'd have many pictures and journal entries posted on her blog that she'd still be able to access. What a wonderful way to look at a blog. I love being able to secure my thoughts, as random as that might be. I didn't take any of these pictures, I swiped them from neighbors who were good enough to grab their camera. When the fire started over our ridge it was time to grab our most important items and pack the car. It's funny because when I think about clearing things out of the house I can't seem to part with anything. I had each of the kids grab 3 things that are most important to them. I love to look back now and see what they took. Zach grabbed his guitar, his long board and some records. Bailey grabbed a stuffed dog from Grandma and Grandpa Roe, and the blanket I had made her. Kaitlyn grabbed her library book (she didn't want a fine), a blanket and her first stuffed animal. Jacob was so cute running around the house looking for what to pack. He at one point yelled, "are hair dryers irreplacible?" He ended up with his backpack, pencil box and erasers. I would never have guess those were important to him and I'm so glad I gave him the chance to pick. Thankfully Kaitlyn threw in a few other things for him. That left me to grab the computer with all the pictures, our home videos, and documents. We had time to grab clothes and of course stuff for the pets. (They take up a lot of room by the way...yet one more reason not to have pets).

We are so grateful that we never had to leave the house. There was a short evacuation for our neighborhood but it was retracted before we even left. GC slept through most of the ordeal, he told me to wake him if the house behind us was on fire. Not really the panicking type I guess.

We are so grateful for the individuals who worked so hard to protect our hill and homes.

This is the view from the neighborhood before it really came over the mountain and people began to panic.




1 comment:

Shane Roe said...

Wow! Great shots of the fire. What an experience, and then the seagulls came in the form of rain and put it out pretty much. A lot of us were praying for that to happen.