Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chili

I seriously don't measure so I'll tell you what I usually do with a simple chili and you can customize it.

I use either ground beef or sometimes I use steak depending on what I have. This time I used two cans of stewed tomatoes and then put in about 6 fresh ones. It really is your typical chili but adding that brown sugar makes a world of difference. I'm not sure why but if I forget to add it everyone notices!

2 large cans (Heinz) chili beans (I can't find this at Walmart and so I just use 3-4 small cans of Walmart brand)
3-4 cans (14 1/2oz.) original recipe stewed tomatoes
1 pound hamburger
1 onion
1/4 cup brown sugar (the more you put in the more sweet your chili will be) I usually put in about 3/4 to 1 cup brown sugar.
1/2 tsp. chili pepper or powder
salt and pepper to taste


Drain chilli beans and put in crockpot. Put tomates in blender (one or two cans at a time) and blend. Pour in crockpot. Brown hamburger and cut up onion to brown with hamburger. Drain grease and add to crockpot. Put brown sugar, chilli pepper and salt and pepper in crockpot. Cook on high for an hour and then low for 2-3 additional hrs.

1 comment:

Jennifer P. said...

you can't eat this without cinnamon rolls :)